Open Enrollment generates enormous work for companies and some confusion and stress for workers hoping that their benefits choices for the coming year are the best ones for them and their families.
Technology-based enrollment, however, can alleviate a sizeable portion of those issues, saving employers time and money, while making the process more efficient and user-friendly for HR departments and employees. Here’s how:
- Every step of the benefits management process is automated, eliminating the need for paper-based processes and improving efficiency and accuracy.
- Online enrollment lowers the overall cost of providing services to employees by eliminating the costs of distributing and collecting paper enrollment packets. It also shortens the enrollment cycle.
- Online enrollment enables employees to self-enroll in benefit programs, review their benefit data and report life-event changes.
- Employees can choose plans based on eligibility criteria and can compare costs and coverage of previous elections against new offerings.
- Elections can be automatically applied to employee records.
- Employees receive written confirmations detailing their elections, and can easily view and update their records and plans.
- Human Resources can check the status of enrollment in real time and may be able to generate detailed reports regarding the cost of employee benefits.
At the same time, some employees may be intimidated by an online option, preferring more one-to-one assistance. Also, some employees may not make informed benefit decisions if they are only advised via the computer and are not provided personalized recommendations.
To encourage as much online enrollment as possible:
- Introduce new software and train employees before Open Enrollment begins.
- Use existing resources (company’s intranet, bulletin board postings or newsletter) to promote technology-based enrollment.
- Encourage management to promote the use of technology-based enrollment to increase employee buy-in.
- Establish online communities or blogs where employees can discuss successes and problems they are having while enrolling.
Technology is a tool that can offer impressive advantages, but people must feel comfortable and safe for an employer to make the most of the opportunity. Talk with the Benefits Team at The Reschini Group for help in fashioning an Open Enrollment program for your particular situation.
Copyright 2020 The Reschini Group
The Reschini Group provides these updates for information only, and does not provide legal advice. To make decisions regarding insurance matters, please consult directly with a licensed insurance professional or firm.